Court nullifies UEW UTAG elections


The Winneba High Court has nullified the September 15 elections, organized by the UTAG branch of the University of Education, Winneba.

The court, presided over by His Lordship, Justice Kwamena Ato Mills-Graves, declared the elections as unconstitutional.

The September elections organized by University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG), excluded members of the Kumasi and Asante Mampong campuses, prompting the lawsuit at a High Court.

The elections were only held at the university’s two campuses at Ajumako and the main one at Winneba, excluding the two others in Kumasi and Asante Mampong.

The court in its ruling today [Wednesday], ordered the national UTAG, to organize and supervise fresh elections on all campuses of the University within 21 days.

READ ALSO:  UEW-K students organised Basic Design Technology (BDT) quiz competition for basic schools in Kumasi

Justice was served – Afenyo Markin

The lawyer for the lecturers who filed the lawsuit, who’s also the Efutu MP, Alexander Afenyo Markin, said he was optimistic of justice from the beginning, saying “Once justice has been given, we are forever grateful.”

“Like we indicated, the UEW has four campuses and it cannot be that only two campuses will be allowed to elect officers that represent the university, so we came to court well-fortified under the law, and we didn’t just come just to waste the time of the court.”

“All those who were supposedly elected have been restrained forthwith, and cannot hold themselves as executives because that election has been declared null and void,” Mr. Afenyo Markin added.

READ ALSO:  UEW - JUDAHFEST 2017 (The Crucifixion)

The UEW, who are respondents in the matter, have been restrained from recognizing the individuals who were elected as executives of the UEW chapter of UTAG.”

Threat over interdiction

The UEW may have another suit on its plate as its Winneba chapter of UTAG, has threatened to sue the University’s Governing Council, over its decision to interdict the Vice Chancellor and four other top officials.

The officials were asked to step aside after it was discovered that some files at some offices under investigation in the school, had gone missing.