The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Education Winneba (UEW) Prof. Mawutor Avoke and five other top officials have been asked to step aside as investigations into alleged malfeasance continue.
The five others are;
Dr. Theophilus Senyo Ackordie Finance Officer
Frank Owusu Boateng Deputy Finance Officer
Ms. Sena Duke Internal Audit
Ms. Mary Dzimey Acting Head of Procurement
Ing. Daniel Tetteh Ag. Deputy Director of Works and Physical Development
A statement signed by the Chairman of the university’s governing council Prof. Emmanuel Abakah said the interdictions are necessary to avoid the tampering of evidence.
The statement claimed vital documents have vanished “at the dead of the night” and that there is a “strong signal”, a “high tendency” that this could compromise the integrity of investigations.
The Vice-Chancellor and the Finance Officer are a subject of three investigations – Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO), Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) and the university’s fact-finding committee.
They have been accused of “malfeasance in the various procurement and contract awards”.
The Vice-Chancellor and Finance Officer had already been ordered by the Winneba High Court last July to hand over to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor until a case brought before it is determined.
This was after a private citizen, Supi Kofi Kwayera, asked the court to declare the University’s Governing Council illegal because its tenure expired in November 2013.
Attempts by the university to dismiss the suit failed as did attempts by the UEW branch of University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) to join the suit.
UTAG branch of UEW went up to the Supreme Court praying that it overturns the High Court order to the Vice-Chancellor and Finance Officer.
The lecturers argue that the High Court lacks jurisdiction to hear the case filed by Supi Kwayera. UTAG also claims the plaintiff at the High Court also has no locus in the matters of the university.
The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case November 8.
Immediate past UTAG President Dr. Harry Agbanu said he is “not surprised at all” by the latest development because the university council is panicking ahead of a Supreme Court judgment which could bring back the Vice-Chancellor.
He said, he had intelligence three days ago that interdictions are likely as a “pre-emptive strike”. He believes the move is witch-hunting tactics to keep out of office, the Vice-Chancellor and others.
Below is the letter